Our LGBTQ History Role Model of the Day is Sylvia Rivera!
Rivera was a transgender rights activist and a veteran of the Stonewall uprising in 1969. As the LGBT rights movement began to focus on the gay community, Rivera fought for those who became marginalized, such as the transgender community, low-income people, and people of color.
The Sylvia Rivera Law Project (SRLP) was named after her and carries on her legacy by fighting discrimination against people of color and low-income people who are transgender, intersex, or gender non-conforming.
- creepykuroneko reblogged this from peppersongg
- plantcentral likes this
- peppersongg reblogged this from gay-it-forward
- sadcaty reblogged this from gay-it-forward
- sadcaty likes this
- a-little-bi-furious likes this
- bureauofassassinscreed likes this
- grantairesrevolutionaryass reblogged this from gay-it-forward
- grsgsa reblogged this from gay-it-forward
- despair-ation likes this
- gay-it-forward posted this